Monday, November 30, 2009

Pumpkin Curry Soup

I used fresh pumpkin for my soup. I have made this every year for the past 10 years. Every year, I do something a little different this year was no exception. Sometimes, I use different squashes, but always the same basic recipe.

Ingredients:

3-4 cups fresh pumpkin (or any squash acorn is really good, butternut squash is just as yummy). You can use canned if you want (it is just not the same ;)

1 Large onion (or 2 med-small ones), finely chopped

2-3 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp flour

3 cups chicken stock

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp poultry seasoning

1/2 tsp curry (you can add more if you want a stronger curry flavor...I like just a hint)

1 cup 2 % milk (you can use heavy cream if you wish, I do sometimes, however, I do not always have it on hand and I find whole milk or 2 % works just fine)

Fresh Pumpkin or any squash~ wash squash, cut in half, discard seeds and the stringy stuff inside (sometimes I roast the seeds, but usually, I toss them). Cut squash in large pieces, and steam till tender. Cool, scrape and mash, then set aside.

Next, in a medium pan on medium heat, melt butter, saute onion till tender, add flour, cook flour with onions for 2-3 min. Gradually, add in chicken broth (it works best if all ingredients are ready to go!), the pumpkin, let cook for about 15 min, then add all seasonings. If your soup is not smooth...at this point you can use some sort of hand held blending device to make it smooth...I like mine a little more chunky. Then add milk. Let simmer...do not boil...or cook on high.

Laddle in to bowls, sprinke with a little parmesan cheese and fresh pepper. Delish!!! It is even better the next day or couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment