Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Grilled Veggie Pizza


This the Grilled Veggie Pizza I made. I loosely used the recipe from Cooking Light Magazine.
The Easiest Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe EVER! This is not from Cooking Light magazine this one comes from Food.com, however it's posted right here and with my tweakings.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour (you can use white flour or you can use 1/2 white 1/2 wheat, that's what I usually do)


1 1/4 cups warm water

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 teaspoon fast rising yeast

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Throw all ingredients into a bowl and mix together with a mixer that has dough hooks or by hand.

2. The dough will be fairly sticky but don't add any more flour.

3. Scrape it into an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and leave to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. I let my dough rise in a warm area of my kitchen. While it's rising, this is when I usually have to take kids to Karate or someother activity, so it's the perfect amount of time to let the dough sit.

4. When dough is finished rising, pre-heat oven to 400 F degrees or turn your grill on high.

5. Turn onto a floured surface and work in a bit more flour until the dough loses its stickiness -- you shouldn't need too much -- then roll out to desired size, keeping the dough about 1/2 inch thick.

6. Leave to rise for about 10 minutes, before topping with your favourite ingredients. (I did not do this part...but if you feel the need to do this you can ;)

7. Put on a baking sheet sprinkled with flour or cornmeal (I highly reccomend not to skip this step...it's what keeps your pizza from sticking to the pizza pan or grill) and bake for 10-15 minutes in a very hot oven until lightly browned. Our standard is 230-240 C in a fan oven for 10 minutes on a top shelf.

THIS IS THE PART IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE YOUR PIZZA ON THE GRILL:
BTW: This is the perfect way to make pizza in the summer that way your house stays nice and cool ;) The idea is to use what you have on hand so that you don't have to go out and buy special ingredients...it's stuff you should already have on hand or using from Sundays dinner.

Ingredients:

Pam Grill Spray

Cornmeal

Leftover grilled veggies...any kind, peppers, mushrooms, squash, onions, tomatoes, etc.

2/3 cup Pizza Sauce (make your own, marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce)

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese or a mix of cheeses...mozzarella, chedder, jack etc.

1/4 cup basil leaves (optional)

2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preparation

1. Prepare grill to high.

2. Prepare your pizza dough as in the above easy pizza dough recipe. Roll it out in any fashion you choose.

3. Grab a cookie sheet spray it with non stick Pam or what have you and then sprinkle the sheet with cornmeal...

4. Place pizza dough, cornmeal side up, on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 4 minutes or until blistered. Turn dough over; grill 3 minutes. Remove from grill. Place the cornmeal side down back on your cookie sheet and then... 


*WATCH IT CAREFULLY so it's not burning...also you will need two spatuals if you do not have a pizza paddle to turn it over.

5. Spread pizza sauce evenly over top side of crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Arrange vegetable mixture evenly over sauce; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper (optinal). Top with cheese. Return pizza to grill rack, and grill for 4 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Cut pizza into 10 pieces; sprinkle with basil or thyme (optional). Also at this point I turned my grill down to med so that I would not burn the bottom of my pizza.


Viola! I know it sounds like a lot of steps but I promise once you try it you will see how easy it really is...and the next time you do it...it will be that much more easy.

There are so many options...you can do just cheese, add meats, etc. This weekend I'm going to do mini's for appetizers for a party. I will post pics later and show how those came out. Just thought I would share can't wait to hear if someone tries it and how it turns out. xoC

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these kinds of recipes. There's nothing quite as fabulous as homemade pizza dough. I remember when I was a kid, going over to my friend Regina's house and her parents were the first ones to introduce me to homemade pizza dough. It's one of my favorite things to make as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try it! i just printed it :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah...post on FB...would love to see how it turns out for ya...also...I remember a posting from long ago about a family pizza night you did...

    Mel...I agree! Nothing like homemade pizza...and I bet the Brizzi's had a great dough recipe!

    xoc

    ReplyDelete