Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Macaroni and Cheeses

I love Fall...have I mentioned that? One of my favorite Fall dinners is Macaroni and Cheese, and no, I did not make a typo when I called this recipe "Macaroni and Cheeses." I love blending several different kinds of cheeses in the cheese sauce. Homemade mac 'n cheese is one of the easiest pasta dishes and such a crowd pleaser. Even Jettson loves it! Jett won't eat boxed mac 'n cheese but he will eat his mama's!

Ingredients:

Any kind of pasta...macaroni, cavatappi, shells (that's what I used--cuz it's what I had on hand). Make according to package directions.

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons flour

2 cups of milk (you can use any kind...whole, 1%, 2% or 1/2 and 1/2...whatever you have on hand)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp thyme (optional---I love thyme in my cheese sauce)

1 cup shredded Monterey Jack

1 cup shredded Mozzarella (or you could use an Italian cheese blend that you get at the grocery store---the goal is to use what you have on hand)

1 cup shredded cheddar (you can use sharp cheddar if you wish)

4-8 slices American cheese (this is the secret to the creamiest, yummiest mac 'n cheese sauce---don't leave this cheese out...you can substitute all the other cheeses but this one)


Heat oven to 350.

Coat a 3 quart broiler and oven safe dish with nonstick spray and set aside.

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium heat, stir in flour whisk till smooth (you want to cook the flour for a bit) then start pouring in milk, whisking all the while, reduce heat a bit and start adding cheeses, one cup at a time till melted. Once all cheeses are added and melted add salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme...taste and adjust. Set aside.

Your pasta should be done by down---drain, rinse & add back to pasta pot and combine cheese sauce. Stir together. Pour pasta mixture in baking dish. At this point you can add a topping if you like---I used a combo of bread crumbs, butter and cheese and crumbled it on top. Bake for 20 minutes. At the last 3 minutes broil the top till lightly browned.

Serve with a veggie or salad!
   

Cook Pasta


Make cheese(s) sauce


Pour into baking dish


Bake and viola! Macaroni and Cheeses!! Yummy.

Happy Cooking. xoc



1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Chrissa! Great photos, too! Cheddar still isn't being sold here in Slovakia nor is american cheese. But I'll have to play around with it a little until I find the right combo. You know the trappista sajt will be good, and I have another in mind to replace the essential cheese. I'll let you know how it goes. I know the kids and Yance would love it!

    ReplyDelete